If you are a woman traveling for the World Cup wondering if it is safe to travel to Qatar, you’ve come to the right place. Not only will we tell you if it is safe in terms of theft and crime, but also with respect to what attitudes are considered appropriate or not as a woman.
JefeBet brings you the best guide for female travelers visiting the Qatar 2022 World Cup with recommendations and information on what to expect from the country, its inhabitants, its norms and what is required in terms of culture.
Is It Safe for Women to Travel to Qatar? Everything You Need to Know Before Traveling to the Home of the 2022 FIFA World Cup 2022
To begin with, we have compiled information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union, and Cooperation of Spain and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Uruguay which mentions that this country is, indeed, very safe in terms of theft and vandalism. Therefore, although it is always important to keep an eye on your belongings, it is not common for robberies to occur.
Thus, it is safe to travel to Qatar in relation to insecurity on the streets. In spite of this, we recommend always being alert to any situation that raises suspicions and alerting someone close to you.
Recommendations for Women, LGBT Couples and Families
Traveling alone to Qatar is not dangerous. However, it is necessary to take into account some recommendations that are in the Guide for travelers to Qatar of the Uruguayan government, in which the following points are included:
- Bikinis are prohibited on public beaches, but are allowed on private hotel beaches.
- It is forbidden to curse and be rude in the stadium, this may result in jail or deportation.
- No photos may be taken of local people without their permission (special emphasis on women).
- It is recommended to cover from the shoulders to the knees. A pashmina is a good option to avoid problems. Although it is not prohibited, it is frowned upon not to be covered.
- Being intoxicated or drinking alcohol in public is a crime.
- It is also a crime to litter on the street.
- Sexual behavior between persons of the same sex is prohibited.
- Likewise, it is recommended to avoid demonstrations of affection, even minimal, in public between partners, members of the same family, friends, etc.
- Finally, as this is a country that practices Islam, calls to prayer are made five times a day. In these spaces, it is recommended not to play loud music.
Well, all things considered, it is safe to travel to Qatar taking into account certain recommendations that can make your stay much more pleasant and spare you a bad moment due to cultural differences.